Labels

I was offered a Rs 14 crore bribe, claims Army chief VK Singh

NEW DELHI,March27,2012: Both houses of Parliament were adjourned till 2 pm after uproar by the opposition over Army chief VK Singh's allegations that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore. Meanwhile, defence minister AK Antony has ordered a CBI probe on Army chief's allegations. Earlier, both houses of Parliament were adjourned till noon after the opposition MPs created a ruckus over the disclosures made by the Army chief. The opposition today cornered the government in Parliament over Army Chief General VK Singh's claim that he was offered bribe. In an interview to a national daily 'The Hindu', army chief General VK Singh, who recently lost his date of birth battle, has claimed that he was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore by an equipment lobbyist for clearing the purchase of 600 substandard vehicles. The army chief also added that the defence minister AK Antony was apprised of the matter.General Singh also said that 7,000 of those of which were already in use in the Army had been sold over the years at exorbitant prices.In the interview Singh said, "One of these men had the gumption to walk up to me and tell me that if I cleared the tranche, he would give me Rs 14 crore. He was offering a bribe to me, to the Army Chief. He told me that people had taken money before me and they will take money after me."Earlier, BJP leader Prakash Javadekar said, "What General VK Singh has said is a serious matter. We will raise this matter in Parliament."
"Things are fast unravelling and you will soon see the hand behind the drama. You will soon see who the sutradhar of the play is, Javadekar added.