Labels

NRI actress Swati Kapila making India proud

Actress Swati Kapila
Actress Swati Kapila receives first nomination for the 'Actress in the Best Supporting Role' for her performance in the Internationally Acclaimed film LIFE! CAMERA ACTION...at the World Music & Independent Film Festival (WMIFF) 2011 Washington, DC. USA. Red Carpet Gala Awards Ceremony to take place on Aug 20, 2011.

How does it feel to have a first nomination in the best supporting actress role in Life Camera Action...? Did you imagine or expect this?
Swati Kapila: It feels hopeful and encouraging to have received recognition for the work I did on Life! Camera Action... When one thinks about an actor's chances at even getting a role, and then on top of that being nominated for any accolade...is icing on the cake! It's a treat that I'm very thankful for

I've learned not to anticipate or expect things, working in the film industry. One cannot really guess what people will respond to...that being said, I always welcome pleasant surprises like this!

Rohit shared with us about your excitement and commitment during filming process. What drove you to this?
Swati Kapila: Quite simply, the biggest reason for my excitement and commitment to this film was Rohit himself. I can't tell you how hard it is to find a good director; one that is not only cool and smart, but also organized, a good communicator, passionate, kind...and selfless with his actors. Rohit is a great mix of these things and he inspired me to do whatever I could do. Being raised in the US, are opportunities and exposure for an actor better in the US or India? Swati Kapila: In my opinion, the truth is that, I consider Hollywood and Bollywood completely different industries, and I have focused my life on learning the business of Hollywood. The effect of this is that I don't know a whole lot about the industry over there--and many would say that is to my disadvantage...because from what I've heard, I feel I would have many more opportunities over there. Unfortunately that's not really where my heart is right now! I would love to work out there, but the time, effort, and organization it takes to launch a career (going to auditions, etc) from across the Atlantic Ocean, is something I would need a clone in order to pull off lol. Even though the Indian American roles in Hollywood continue to disappoint, I keep coming back for more and biding my time, hoping that eventually they will come around to the fact that we are 3-dimensional, regular human beings with the same emotions as characters who are written to be Caucasian ;-)

What does it take to become an actor?
Swati Kapila: I'm still trying to figure out what makes a (successful) actor! I'm currently on set and assisting the very talented and famous Hank Azaria, and I'm in the process of watching him work...so hopefully in a few months I'll have a better answer for you. That being said, from what I've seen in the passed 4 years after graduating from film school, it certainly takes a lot of confidence and quirkiness. I no longer believe it takes beauty, because I sincerely feel abilities and luck (and who your father is) are more important. Also, one must have a fine balance between being thick-skinned while remaining emotionally open and empathetic. On a more comedic note, I think most actors I've met tend to be pretty spacey and in their own world! I guess you kind of have to be to survive this gypsy-like way of life. Finally, to get very technical, a very unique and pleasant vocal quality could not hurt at all.

What makes a person an actor? What kind of mindset an actor should have?
Swati Kapila: Focus and concentration is so key. I'm on set right now...and there is always so much going on around an actor; it is so important to be able to tune that out! You also have to have some serious stamina--after a 15-hour work day it's important to be able to wake up 6 hours later ready to do it all over again with a smile on your pretty face ;-)

You have had formal training from New York University. How much of this information and experience helps you while on set and otherwise?
Swati Kapila: I really value my time at NYU TISCH. The larger university itself has a lot of faults, but the program and experiences I took from it have made me who I am today. It was transformative. I met my most trusted confidantes there; these are the people I hope to surround myself with one day if I'm ever in the position to hire a crew of creatives. I only wish I could do my 4 years at NYU again. Knowing what I know now--I feel I could get even more from the opportunity to make shorts and write scripts in that kind of educational environment again!

How did you get a part in Life Camera Action...? What made you go for it?

Swati Kapila: What's special about my involvement as an actor in this film is that I didn't really audition for it. I had read for Rohit once a long time ago, and then almost a year later he contacted me saying he thought of me for this. It's the most flattering and confidence-boosting way to get a part, when the director feels you are right for it :-) I hate the audition process--it is so artificial and I almost always get besides myself with nerves!

What does the story of Life! Camera Action... communicate to you?
Swati Kapila: The story actually means quite a bit to me, because as an Indian, and as a female filmmaker, I can very much relate to the protagonist's struggle. This movie aims to more accurately portray the experience of an artist (but moreover an Indian American) who is trying to achieve success "off the beaten track". While (silly) shows like Entourage present this industry as some fluffy heaven, the truth is very far from that. This line of work is all about struggle, and this film is about the struggle. I don't want to sound negative--experiencing struggle is a very emotional and beautiful thing to watch as an audience member! Back to the character of Reina's story: as if friction and rejection from the world isn't enough, often Indian Americans are having to fight battles at home with our parents and extended families who simply don't understand the life we have chosen. They tend to plant the seed of doubt in our heads...which is a very dangerous thing. We put so much weight and value on what our parent's want for our lives, that it is hard to ignore their disapproval. Thankfully, Reina is so amazingly resilient, that this doesn't stop her.

What was your favorite part during the filming process?
Swati Kapila: I really enjoyed shooting the scene outside on the bench with Dipti (Reina). After a few takes, Rohit asked us to just improv and have a conversation..We filmed a few long takes, and the scene was simply very interesting to explore. Shooting with Rohit at the helm is a lot of fun!

How do you feel about the success of the film? You are being appreciated and recognized for your performance internationally, did you expect this?
Swati Kapila: I feel beyond ecstatic about the film's success--keep it coming! ;-). No, I certainly didn't expect attention for my humble little character in this movie...but that makes it all the more exciting and special that people are taking notice.

What were the challenges you faced while performing in Life Camera Action... Swati Kapila: My biggest challenge was overcome relatively quickly in the shooting process. As an actor it is so important to be able to trust the director and crew. I initially approached the project very cautiously because I didn't really know anyone involved. Unfortunately, in the past I had been burned by a few sketchy crews...but once I got to know Rohit and his hard-working crew, I felt comfortable and knew I could trust them.

How do you decide your part in a film?

Swati Kapila: Oof, answering this requires an acting lesson! I will say that it is important to be able to approach each role slightly differently so that you are tailoring your research and work to that specific character. But the first questions I always ask myself in a scene is: What just happened to me before this scene started? Who am I talking to and what is their relation to me? And WHAT DO I WANT OUT OF THIS EXCHANGE? (The last question is most important.) After that, you just add stakes and back story...and then try your best to "forget" everything as the director yells action!

Is acting a quality or inherent/inborn trait?

Swati Kapila: Hmmm...I think the jury is still out on this one, but it's probably a little bit of both (sorry, no easy answers!) So what I mean is that I think a person must be born with certain traits and qualities, which makes them "a natural"...and then the rest must be studied and learned. I guess it's just like any other profession. For example a good doctor has certain personality traits...but I wouldn't go to a doctor who hasn't been to med school!

No comments:

Post a Comment